Physical and Personal Support is Required.
Two ladies who share their own home are currently looking for a Community Support Worker to share some time with them a few hours Friday, Saturday & Sunday. These longtime roommates require someone who is interested in providing support and companionship Friday evenings; checking out the local happenings or just relaxing at home or hanging out in the park.
The successful applicant will be creative and explore new and exciting events and activities in the community.
Experience supporting individuals who have alternative methods of communication would be an asset.
Cultivating Relationships, Connecting Communities, Creating Possibilities
This position is a front-line job that is vital in accomplishing the mission and values that govern the work done by this Association. The Community Support Worker is a valued member of a team that assists individuals, supported by our Association, to live in the community as independently as possible. They support and actively encourage the individuals to live in accordance with their own beliefs, desires and choices.
As a team member, the CSW strives to communicate in a considerate, thoughtful and attentive manner with their co-workers and the individuals we support. A CSW will represent the Association courteously and professionally in all interactions they have with guardians, other agencies and the community at large.
1. An understanding that your role is to offer support and guidance, not direction and behavior modification.
2. A desire to actively assist the individuals supported by Southern Alberta Community Living Association to live in accordance with their own beliefs, desires and choices.
3. A belief that people with developmental disabilities can live self-determined lives in the community surrounded by friends and family.
4. An understanding that in order to function effectively as a member of a team, you must take responsibility for your own actions, striving to communicate effectively with the individuals you support, your co-workers and supervisors.
5. A willingness to participate in educational opportunities that promote professional growth.
1. One to two years’ experience in providing support to people with developmental disabilities. Experience gained in other disciplines providing support to people without developmental disabilities may be considered.
2. Education in the field of rehabilitation is an asset, but not essential. Education gained in one of the humanities may be considered.
May include but not limited to:
1. All persons 18 years of age, who receive a conditional offer of employment to provide direct support to adults or children through Southern Alberta Community Living Association, must provide a current, clear Criminal Record Check inclusive of a check relating to the Vulnerable Sector.
2. Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle with $2,000,000 public liability
3. Valid Emergency First Aid CPR A & AED Certificate